The Fairfax County Commonwealth's Attorney’s Office announced on August 18, 2020, that prosecutors will no longer pursue certain misdemeanor offenses. Low funding, lack of resources, a massive backlog of cases due to COVID-19 and being subject to hours of watching police body camera footage all contributed to this decision.
Below are just some of the misdemeanors that Fairfax County prosecutors will no longer pursue:
- Assault and Battery- unlawful touching of another in a rude or angry manner
- Indecent Exposure – Intentionally displaying or exposing an intimate or private body part in public.
- Reckless Driving – Driving either 20 miles per hour over the posted speed limit or driving more than 80 miles per hour.
- Petit Larceny/Shoplifting- Stealing merchandise valued $1000.00 or more
- Animal Cruelty – Inflicting violence against, neglecting, or otherwise providing inadequate care to an animal.
However, the attorney’s office said offenders will still be held accountable through different means. When it comes to any of the offenses the Commonwealth Attorney’s office is not involved in, cases complaining witnesses/victims, police, animal control , and loss prevention officers can still proceed.
Whether you have recently been arrested for animal cruelty or reckless driving or are currently have a pending case in Fairfax County, The Law Office of Ann Thayer, PLLC has more than 15 years of experience handling these types of cases. Remember, a misdemeanor conviction can still result in a jail sentence of up to one year, a fine not exceeding $2,500, and a permanent mark on your criminal record, which is why you need Attorney Ann Thayer to protect your rights, freedom, and future.
Because of the attorney’s office, let our firm take advantage of this opportunity to have your case dropped. Do not hesitate let get personalized and responsive legal services from our firm.If you are facing assault and battery or reckless driving charges in Fairfax, Arlington, Alexandria, Loudoun or Prince William County, contact us today at (703) 940-0001 for a free consultation. Available 24/7!