Fairfax Drug Crime Lawyer
Legal Representation for Misdemeanor & Felony Drug Charges
The Commonwealth of Virginia has passed a broad range of legislation related to the cultivation, manufacture, distribution, and possession of controlled substances. Drug crimes can range from minor misdemeanors that carry small penalties to serious charges in state or federal court.
At The Law Office of Ann Thayer, PLLC, our Fairfax drug crimes attorney offers personalized attention for every case. Being accused of a drug crime can be a frightening experience, which is why we will be by your side from start to finish, ensuring you understand the process, potential outcomes, and your legal options.
If you have been charged with a drug crime, call (703) 940-0001 for a free consultation by phone or in person. We serve clients in Arlington, Prince William, Loudoun, and Alexandria.
What Are the Drug Crimes Schedules in Virginia?
The specific charges a defendant may face depend on the type of alleged activity and drug. Controlled substances are classified into categories, known as schedules. The potential for abuse and addiction, as well as any medical benefits determine how a controlled substance is categorized.
The schedules for controlled substances include:
- Schedule I – Drugs that have no medicinal benefits and a high potential for addiction and abuse, such as heroin
- Schedule II – Controlled substances that have some medical purpose, but a high potential for addiction and abuse, such as morphine
- Schedule III – Drugs that have accepted medical use and a moderate risk of addiction or a high potential for psychological dependence, such as methyprylon
- Schedule IV – Controlled substances that have accepted medicinal use and a low potential for abuse, such as Cloxazolam
- Schedule V – Drugs with an accepted medicinal use and a lower risk of abuse and addiction than Schedule IV drugs, such as codeine
- Schedule VI – Controlled substances that are restricted to prescription use only and could have some harmful effects, but aren’t listed on the other schedules
Types of Drug Offenses
In Virginia, drug crimes include:
- Possession with intent to sell,
- Distribution, and
- Drug trafficking
Activities involving Schedule I drugs carry the most serious penalties, while Schedule IV or V substances carry less severe charges and punishments. Depending on the alleged activity, you could be accused of a misdemeanor or felony.
What Are the Penalties for Drug Crimes?
Regardless of the type of charge or controlled substance involved, any type of conviction can have negative consequences and a lasting impact on your life. Criminal penalties may include a jail or prison sentence, fines, probation, and mandatory drug treatment or counseling. In addition, you will have a criminal record, which can affect your future employment prospects and damage your reputation.
Defense Strategies for Drug Charges
Depending on the charges and the details of your situation, several possible defense strategies may exist. At The Law Office of Ann Thayer, PLLC, we will evaluate your case, including determining how law enforcement officers gathered evidence to ensure your Fourth Amendment rights weren’t violated by an illegal search and seizure.
Our Fairfax drug crimes lawyer will discuss your legal options and recommend ways to proceed with your case. In some situations, we may advise negotiating a plea bargain or work to have the charges reduced. We will explore a variety of defense strategies and develop the most effective for your circumstances.
When you need a drug crimes attorney, you can count on us to be there for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Because you may have many questions about your charges and the criminal justice process, we will be committed to maintaining open communication, answering your questions and providing regular updates on the status of your case.