Person typing on laptop keyboard

How Can I Get a Protective Order?

What Is Required to Get a Protective Order?
If you need a protective order in Fairfax, you’ll need to prove to a judge that there is a fear for your life or safety from the person you’re filing the order against. This can be a stressful time for you so it is best to allow an attorney to assist you in the process to help make sure you get the protection you need.

For a judge to grant your protective order, you must demonstrate the following:

•Standard of Law: You must prove your case by a preponderance of evidence which means that the Judge believes you at least 50.1% over the other side’s 49.9%.

•Evidence: You must show that there was an act of violence, force, or threat which resulted in bodily injury or that you have a reasonable fear of death, sexual assault, or bodily injury.

•Proof of Relationship: If this case involves a family or household member you will also need to provide evidence of that relationship.

How Can a Skilled Attorney Help You Get Your Order?

While you may feel that the threat to your safety is obvious, this is not enough for a judge. You must provide evidence that your safety is in danger, either from threats made by the defendant or by past actions that are believed to continue into the future. By working with a qualified attorney, you can assist your attorney with providing the relevant information and evidence that will give you a better chance of having a judge issue the protective order in Fairfax.